Mr and Mrs Buyer and I were out shopping for a home the other day, and were in the basement of a home that was at the top of their price range. In the finished basement, there was an unfinished side, where the heater and things were located, along with the sump pump hole.
Mr. Buyer announced he was upset, and started to get excited and cause a scene. He said he could smell the radon coming out of the sump pump hole. He explained how dangerous this was, and that it could cause cancer. We left the property immediately.
While we were out front, and Mr. Buyer was having a cigarette break, I explained that Radon Gas was odorless, colorless and tasteless, and could be checked out. If done in a timely manor, could be remediated, at the cost of the seller. Well Mr. Buyer knew more than I did about it and declaired this house was not for him.
Believe it or not, this is a true story! But here are the facts folks!
Radon is an odorless, colorless, and tasteless radioactive gas produced by the natural breakdown of uranium found in some rocks, sediments, and water. Radon moves out of the ground and dilutes to harmless levels in the atmosphere, but it can accumulate to high levels in houses. High radon levels are associated with an increased risk of lung cancer. Radon can enter a home through openings in basement walls and floors. Radon concentrations in a home can be lowered by sealing these entry points, by depressurizing the sediment around home foundations, and by improving home ventilation.