Carbon monoxide in your home

By
Home Inspector with A Accredited Mold Inspection Service, Inc.

 

 

Article by A Accredited Mold Inspection Service, Inc.

Daryl Watters

Many people are concerned about hidden mold causing health problems.

Unfortunately because of fears of mold people overlook other possible dangerious indoor air quality problems.

Certified home inspectors and certified mold inspectors with a two day certifications in mold testing are all to often called out to sample the air for mold spores in such buildings. 

Neither the home owner nor the poorly trained inspector considers the fact that bacteria from a humidifier in the babies room,  allergens from rats in the attic, asbestos containing building materials, volatile organic compounds, or even carbon monoxide may be causing the problems. If mis diagnosed by a guy with a mold testing air pump, a swab, and a two day certification, such conditions can be overlooked and have seriously negative consequences.

One of the most dangerous indoor air quality problems is caused by carbon monoxide. It kills 1500 and injures 10,000 people a year in the US alone.

Read on to learn more about this silent killer.

Are gas appliances ever in use at the property ?

Do any health complaints appear to have a direct correlation to time spent cooking, or heating, or being in the property while any combustion devices may be in operation?

Are automobiles warmed up in an attached garage ?

Are AC units or duct work in a garage or basement or other area where combustion devices or automobiles may be in use.

WARNING: Carbon monoxide levels at your property may become elevated, obtain a carbon monoxide detector or have your property tested for carbon monoxide. If levels are deemed high enough by your investigator then emergency measures such as immediate evacuation may be deemed necessary by your investigator.

Even if slightly elevated further investigation by a qualified, licensed, specialist is recommended and appropriate repairs or other measures may be needed.

 

The leading cause of deaths from carbon monoxide poisoning in homes is automobile exhaust escaping from garages, however improper combustion of fuel in gas appliances, improper ventilation of combustion gases to the exterior, and cracked heat exchangers are also important sources of carbon monoxide exposure.

At low concentrations the health effects are fatigue in healthy people and chest pain in persons with heart disease. At higher concentrations it causes impaired vision and coordination problems, headaches, dizziness, confusion, nausea. It can cause flu like symptoms that clear up after leaving home. Carbon monoxide is fatal at very high concentrations.

Average levels in homes without gas stoves 0.5 to 5 ppm.

Levels near properly adjusted gas stoves are 5 to 15 ppm.

Near poorly adjusted stoves 30 ppm or higher.

 

The above information is from our inspection report writing software created by our inspector, and from the EPA website:

http://www.epa.gov/iaq/co.html

Also visit carbonmonoxidekills.com

 

Daryl Watters,   National Association of Home Inspectors
Certified Residential Inspector   Florida Certified Windstorm Mitigation Inspector.   IAQA Certified Indoor Environmentalist   Environmental Assessors Association
Certified Environmental Inspector   Professional Certification Institute
Certified Mold Inspector.   Environmental Solutions Association
Certified Mold Inspector and Certified Allergen Inspector.      
Providing inspection services for Floridians since 1993   Your referrals are appreciated.

1-888-381-6651  

close

This entry hasn't been re-blogged:

Re-Blogged By Re-Blogged At
Topic:
Real Estate Best Practices
Location:
Florida Palm Beach County
Tags:
mold inspection
monoxide
mold testing
co carbon
certified mold inspector

Post a Comment
Spam prevention
Spam prevention
Post a Comment
Spam prevention

What's the reason you're reporting this blog entry?

Are you sure you want to report this blog entry as spam?

Rainer
6,091

Daryl Watters

Daryl Watters
Ask me a question
*
*
*
*
Spam prevention