If you have plans to Relocate to Hawaii for a Hawaii Job Transfer, Hawaii Military PCS or just decided that Hawaii is your dream place to retire then of course you are planning ahead to make sure your beloved Poochie, Kitty or other pet will have the least amount of stress in their transition to Hawaii as well.
Hawaii is "RABIES FREE" so it is a guarantee that you will have to follow strict rules and guidelines as well as have plenty to do ahead of time to prepare your pet for travel and relocation too. The purpose of our Hawaii dog and cat import law is to protect our residents as well as pets from potential health problems associated with rabies.
The following Animal Quarantine's Hawaii Rabies Quarantine Brochure (click and save the pdf file for future use)will give you details on the process as well as an extensive overview and checklist to follow so your pet does not have to go through the stress of a full 120 day quarantine.
The "Five Day or Less Program" has 7 steps with multiple points under the checklist such as:
- Rabies Vaccinations (not less than 90 days prior to arrival, nor less than 90 days apart, not more than 12 mos prior to arrival for one year rabies vaccination and 36 mos for 3 year)
- Microchip (Required before the OIE-FAVN Rabies Blood Test)
- OIE-FAVN Rabies Blood Test (not more than 36 mos. and not less than 120 days prior to arrival to Hawaii)
- WAITING PERIOD- After the OIE-FAVN Rabies Blood test there is a 120 day waiting period and any animal arriving early will AUTOMATICALLY disqualify the animal for the 5-day or less quarantine or airport release!
- Documents: Vaccination certificates, original health certificate (in English), treated for ticks by vet and so forth.
- Document submission: All documents and payment submitted to the Animal Quarantine Station, 99-951 Halawa Valley Street; Aiea, HI 96701 (NO Faxes accepted!)
- Other: Verification of pet's qualification
The cost is $165 per pet for direct airport release or $224 per pet for the 5-day-or-less program. The 120 day program costs $1,080.
Other things to take note of are your pets medication (plastic bottles only). Heartworm disease is a great concern and your should test your dog prior to entering Hawaii and administer heartworm medication before arriving as well as while residing in Hawaii.
Again, the 24 page brochure Animal Quarantine's Hawaii Rabies Quarantine Brochure is in pdf format and you can save it to your pc for future reference. Be prepared and care for your family pet long before your Hawaii Relocation.
Other Important Info and Forms:
Celeste "Sally" Cheeseman is a Realtor-Associate with Century 21 Liberty Homes in Mililani, Hawaii. With a sharp understanding that a listening ear is the key to a client's needs she serves the island of Oahu (Honolulu County) and all Hawaii Military Relocating to Hawaii, Hawaii Retirees, Hawaii Job Transfers and Hawaii Residents. Website: www.hawaiihomesmarket.com