5 Reasons December is a Great Time to Buy A Home!
1. Less Competition. Think about it... who is shopping for a home during the holidays? Only those who really NEED to move. Everyone else is shopping for gifts. Sellers who have experienced a dropoff or cessation of showings are eager to invite you inside.
2. Homes are Priced to Sell. While there are fewer buyers looking for homes, the same is true for sellers (there are fewer)-- only those who really NEED to sell have put (or kept) their house on the market at this time. Their relocation requirement is your opportunity to negotiate a great deal.
3. Mortgage Rates are Still Great. There have been lots of changes in the the mortgage industry over the past few years, but one thing hasn't changed too much-- rates are still pretty good. However, keep in mind that rates are predicted to rise in 2014 and note that a 1% Rate Change = 10.75% Purchasing Power Change!
4. Tighter Mortgage Rules Take Effect on January 10, 2014. The new lending rules will limit people from taking out a mortgage that puts their overall household borrowing at more than 43% of their income. That new debt cap also includes a wide swath of common forms of debt that count toward the total, including student loans, most fees & points related a home purchase, and property taxes. It also tightens rules on documentation.
5. It's Cheaper to Buy Than Rent. According to trulia's chief economist, home ownership remains cheaper than renting nationally and in all of the 100 largest metro areas. On average, it's 35% cheaper to own your own home. Check out which is better for you using trulia's Rent vs. Buy Calculator.
If you or someone you know is thinking of buying a home, contact me at (860) 212-8305. I'm offering a FREE GIFT ($400 value) for new buyer-clients during the month of December.
Click here to see all West Hartford homes for sale.
Click here to see all Farmington homes for sale.
Click here to see all Avon homes for sale.