Want to be a Magnet and Attract Money and Clients?
Clean up your act!
I mean this literally and figuratively. When we are operating with many incomplete tasks, projects and goals, in clutter and chaos, we don’t have the focus, good execution or results. As a coach, I know that often, it isn’t about doing more, but doing things more effectively. In many cases, you can actually do less and be more successful because you have clarity and energy, but key to this is getting the things that don’t support you out of the way so you can be the best you can be.
What’s cleaning up your act have to do with it? The more things you are tolerating (a coaching word that means "putting up with”), the less energy you have. If you visualize a cord made of many threads coming out of your belly button and each of those threads dripping a little bit of your energy, you can start to see what the cost is for putting up with issues in your environment, with people in your life and, even your own bad habits. Mostly, we think we are ignoring all this, but, in truth in the background, each time we deal with not finding something on a messy desk, or an unwanted interruption, we lose a little bit of energy.
So, here’s how to tackle it and give yourself back clarity and energy:
- Make a list of 50-100 things you are tolerating: Include everything: people, situations, clothes that don't fit, dust, etc.
- Identify why you are tolerating-the benefits.
- What are the hard costs? Soft costs?
- Start to tell people what you are doing. Then get support from them.
- Handle at least 1 toleration a day.
Many people, at first glance, will deny they are tolerating much…..especially if they can’t change some things on the list (like other people’s behavior) or think they can’t change things.
Usually the first 10-20 are easy and then you’ll get stumped. Continue by mentally or physically walking through each room in your home-are there things in your closet that don’t fit or make you look good? Are there out of date drugs in your medicine cabinet? How about your car? Your office? and then there are the people or situations you are putting up with and getting drained by!
Here is a list that might spark some ideas from a Beta group led by Thomas Leonard, the father of Coaching and founder of Coachu.
What you will find will happen once you make your list, is:
- Some things will clear up just by noticing them, or you can handle immediately
- Some things are the source (pivotal tolerations) of 5-6 other things on the list. Not making enough money may be the source of not having a car that’s operating well or having clothes that make you look great. Working on pivotal tolerations can make a BIG difference!
- Some things can’t be changed. Instead of letting them annoy or drain energy-practice acceptance, so you really are OK that they aren’t the way you want them to be, but you can quit resisting and letting them annoy you (this is often people!)
With the rest of the items on the list - choose the ones you are going to handle this week. Big ones like not having a reserve of 6 months of living expenses, will take longer, but you can attach a date by when you will have it resolved to start the process in place!
What does this have to do with attracting clients and money, you may be asking? I’m glad you asked!!! A shift that occurs when the tolerations are cleaned up that allows you to work with more focus, have less things to complain about (people usually don’t like spending time with complainers) and be more effective, because you are exuding an energy that people like!
Often working on you instead of trying hard to lead generate will cause people and money to be attracted like your are a magnet!