Say Yes To Saying No
Do you say yes to requests that commit you to things you don’t really have time for or that make you feel stressed? There are many reasons that people say yes, when they really want to say no:
• Some people have a great sense of duty and obligation. They feel like they have to say yes to almost anything they are asked to do.
• Some people just want everyone to like them, and they’re afraid if they say no they might cause the person making the request to reject them.
• Some people are afraid they’ll miss out on a big opportunity if they say no to something.
• Some people feel flattered when they are asked to do something extra.
• Some people hate confrontation so much that they will do almost anything to avoid it, including saying yes even when they want to say no.
When you do need to say no, here are a few tips that might help:
• Always be polite, but firm. Don’t over explain about your situation because the person making the request might then try to convince you to say yes.
• Say no as soon as possible to avoid dragging the situation out.
• Always know your priorities. If something doesn’t fit in with your beliefs or needs, don’t