- Do you know who your best customers are?
- Do you know who the largest segment of your SOI is?
- Do you know who has the largest pool of buyers?
We discovered many years ago that the answer to this question is real estate agents. I am blessed in that most of my friends are local real estate agents and of course agents on Active Rain.
We have a very interesting and the most unique profession in that our very competition is also our very best customer. You will not do well selling your listings if you have an attitude problem and are difficult to work with because agents will not wish to be around you. They will show your listings but cringe at the thought of having to present an offer on your listing because you are a jerk. I do not see the other agents as competition but rather as allies and assistants to sell our listings.
What are some of the ways in which you can cultivate your relationships with other agents? Let us start with your local agents:
- Go out to lunch with one agent per week. I have made some great friends this way. Of course we talk shop but there are other things you talk about as you get to know one another. Do not bring your listing brochures with you! Use this time to listen to them and get to know them. The more you ask questions the more you will learn about the other person.
- Attend networking events and local board events. This is a great way to meet several agents at one time. Do not start your conversation with, "I have this listing..." Ask them about their listings! Ask them how you can help them! You will be amazed as you do this how you will gain not only some great friends but also agents who want to show your listings.
- Hand deliver your listing brochures and invitations to Broker's opens to the Real Estate offices in your area. As you begin to frequent the same offices over and over again, you will soon be recognized and agents will begin asking you about your listings.
- Hold fun Broker's Opens that agents will be sure to remember. You can create a loyal following of agents this way. If you know Patricia Kennedy; you can invite her over to play a symphony for them on her flute. Have drawings for nice gifts like dinner gift cards or gas cards.
- When agents call us for showing instructions on certain listings we create a rapport with them over the phone. If they are agents we know, we chat a bit and build the relationship some more. If we do not know them, it gives us the chance for a brief moment to be courteous and kind with the goal that they will be drawn towards us and our listings because we answered our phone, we returned the call and we help them with any questions they may have. We have been doing a lot of this on our short sale listings. This way we can assure them that they are in good hands because we get our short sales through.
Another great benefit to befriending the agents in your area is that you can also get referrals from them and give them. How do you do that with a local listing? If your listing is about to expire and your seller does not want to renew with you, suggest them to talk to the other top agents in town. Then have an agreement with those agents that you get a referral fee if that sellers lists with one of the agents you turned them onto. When we are very busy we refer all our buyer leads out. Even now that we have a buyers agents there will still be times where we will need to refer the buyer to one of our agent friends. We also use the tool when we are on a listing appointment and they choose not to go with us, ( this is rare these days) we give them a list of the top agents in our area to interview and recommend them. We will get a referral fee if they list with one of the agents on our list.
By the proper care and feeding ( nurturing) of your fellow agents you will create great advocates of your listings. We make sure it is a pleasure to show our listings. Agents will go out of their way to find buyers for your listings if you treat them well. Begin cultivating relationships with the agents in your area and watch your garden of listings grow!
Katerina Gasset, CIPS, Realtor ®, Business and Life Coach, Speaker and Author. Reach Katerina at: 561-753-0135
Disclaimer:The information provided herein is supplied by several sources and is subject to change without notice. Wellington Homes Blog does not guarantee or is any way responsible for its accuracy, and provides said information without warranties of any kind, either express or implied. Entries on Wellington Homes Blog represent the opinions and ideas of the author(s). Wellington Homes Blog does not express the views of International Properties and Investments, Inc or those of the broker.
Copyright © 2008 By Katerina Gasset, All Rights Reserved.. *The Proper Care And Feeding Of Agents* Contact Katerina Gasset for Customized Business and Personal Coaching.