While I was reading Grant Schneider post regarding his DO OVER CHALLENGE I knew EXACTLY what I needed to DO OVER in 2017! I created a new Business Network Group in 2016 and things haven't gone exactly as I had envisioned them in my 2016 Business Plan. Previously I ran a very successful network group that met for over 10 years+ so I know what creating, growing and running a network group 'looks like'. When the economy took a big hit in 08 the group disbanded because many of the members were dramatically effected by the economic downturn and they needed to take other jobs, close down their business and/or move to another area.
Creating a new North Phoenix Business Network Group had been on my mind for several years. I finally committed to the idea in late 2015 and made it official in 2016. At this point we have 15 paid members and my goal was to grow the group to 30 or so members in 2016. Clearly I fell short by quite a bit but that's about to change. I've been thinking about what to do but had no formal plan for the changes that needed to be made in order to ramp up the member count and get this group rock and rolling full speed ahead in 2017.
1. Change in venue was a must! Currently we meet in a local cafe that was a convenient location, but honestly it's kind of crappy looking and noisy - just not the best place for an up and coming successful network group. I have made arrangements to move the group to a new venue starting in January. It's a new, conveniently located restaurant and has excellent, updated facilities and great business ambiance. I'm quite certain the venue will be much more attractive to potential members. The owner and her staff have A+++ service plus they are opening just for our event twice a month. We hosted our 10 Year Anniversary Client Party there in November and they did a fabulous job for us. Needless to say I am very excited about the change as are all the members of the group!
2. Board of Directors shift. We got off track over the summer and the board hasn't been as focused at it really needs to be. As the President it clearly is up to me to re-focus the board and get them (and moi) more involved once again. I know I got so busy with business that I just had no more time, but that excuse needs to go by the wayside!! Done.
3. Get out to network events more often! The entire Board of Directors must attend more networking meetings around town to 'interview' potential members for the group. I had started to do this last year but got really unimpressed with a few groups that were so unprofessional and full of lots of MLM folks. (Don't get me wrong MLM's are fine but it's just not our target market for this group). We are looking for business owners or executives in business for at least 3 to 5 years. I am considering re-joining the Phoenix Chamber of Commerce. I was a very active member for years and know a lot of the members so it would be a good fit (I hope) once again.
4. Make those calls! I simply need to reach out to more folks and meet them for coffee to ascertain if they're a good fit for the group. I know a lot of people on Linked-In that may be potential members but I just haven't taken the time to make that happen. I am setting a goal to meet with 2 new people a month as that is doable with my schedule.
5. Social Media and Website. We started out posting on FB and LI etc about the meetings and presentations of the members, but we all got off track on doing so this past summer. And the website is simple a mess of a situation. Thankfully Ken Jones keyed me into a solution and my next step is to reach out to him for assistance! He already said he'd be more than happy to help me but again - there's that time excuse of mine. This is so NOT about time! I know I've been dragging my feet on it making everything else more important. So you see.....I know when I need to SHIFT my mindset!! To Think Is To Create Ms Banana! I know this stuff folks!! And it's way past DO OVER TIME for me!!
Thanks Grant for creating this contest! It is so what I needed right now to formulate my plan to get this Business Network Group growing and off to great success for all it's members in 2017 and beyond.
It's Do Over Time! Making Changes Successfully...