Today is not just the first day of winter, it's also National Short Girl Appreciation Day today, December 21st! How fitting that we observe this day on the shortest day of the year! So if you're a girl whose height is under 5'5", today you celebrate being short! Being 5'3", myself, I am definitely a short girl--even though in my head I'm at least 5'7".
What's the hardest thing about being a short girl? Anyone who is my height and small-boned understands the pain of shopping for clothes. It seems harder and harder to find petite sizes in the stores (apparently the average American woman today is 5'5" and wears a size 14). I'm always shortening jeans, trousers, arms of jackets/coats. When I find that illusive petite size 4 in my favorite jeans, I buy out the store and keep a supply in my closet as I never know when I might see my size on the store shelves again. One of my personal fears is wearing out my jeans and not being able to buy more in my size!
Clothes shopping frustrations, aside... there are some unique advantages of being a short girl:
- Most men are taller than you.
- We can wear heels without towering over men or looking like a giant.
- We have more legroom in airplanes.
- We can fall asleep on the couch without our legs hanging over the arm.
- There's some evidence that short people live longer.
- It's been said that short women tend to be more ambitious, independent, feisty, and achieve more financially (hmmm... who does that remind me of? Wait! It's a perfect description of me!).
So if you're a short girl, celebrate being short all day today On National Short Girl Appreciation Day and never forget....