Before tackling any remodeling, take time to consider the expertise you will need. Do your homework and use these 10 points as a checklist:
1. Don’t believe you have the skill for every home remodeling project
2. Don’t enlist inexperienced friends and family to help
3. Understand your budget and don’t assume you won’t go over
4. Don’t underestimate the time for any project always add a little for the unexpected
5. Investigate the local building codes and area regulations
6. Gather pictures of what you want (they are worth a 1,000 words) and show them to your contractor
7. Don’t risk your safety in trying to finish up a remodeling project
8. Make sure you have all the components before beginning any remodeling
9. Research - guarantee you have all the specifics before tackling any project
10. Where there is a will there is a way for any remodeling project. Seek professional advice it will be worth it in the long run
Taking on a remodeling job could be in your future. Be smart and know there are many factors to consider. Your favorite make over TV show makes it look so easy...it’s not! Many home remodeling projects involve more expertise than others.
It’s wise to take on projects every year...don’t try and play catch up when you go to sell. Many homeowners believe their home is a work in progress and take pride in timely updates and enjoy their new looks!
Experts and studies tell us the 2 areas of your home you will receive the largest ROI on remodeling is the kitchen and master bath. Buyers are expecting updates in those areas if they are going to be swayed to pay top dollar. However the practical buyer can be swayed by the following projects and they won’t break the bank and adds value while giving you a decent RIO:
1. Front door refurbishing
Your front door is like the cover on a book- it suggests what you might find inside. First impressions are so important!
2. Window replacement
Energy efficiency is a top priority for many practical buyers who are looking closely at their monthly utility bills.
3. Modernize your lighting
Buyers love bright rooms and want plenty of lighting. Is it time to add recessed lighting to the kitchen and living area? How about checking out the new looks and change those dated light fixtures?
4. Systematize your closets
Storage is a high priority for many buyers. Cluttered closets draw attention to the size of closet storage. Changing the function of your closet with closet organizers, appeals to the concern of storage space.
Before you consider any remodeling project large or small determine what skill set and experience you possess to execute a project. Be honest with yourself and seek professional advice when you know a project is out of your area of expertise. Time is money and many subscribe to the motto “I’ll do what I do best and hire the rest.” Remember not all DIY projects are considered equal and the same goes for the person attempting the DIY project!
Thinking of selling your NW Austin home? Reach out to me at 512-346-1799 or email@example.com so we can explore your options. I’d be happy to provide you with a market analysis and free consultation. I live in NW Austin and can help prospective sellers go from Listed to Sold with my online and print marketing. I offer hands on Professional guidance for all your real estate needs.