The Long Island home buying process is a learn as you go experience. However, here are some solid tips that every new home buyer should AVOID...
1. Don't Check Your Credit Report And Score ~ You are anxious to start your home buying search, but before you check out the Online Listings or visit some Open Houses, or Hire A Realtor, make sure you get a copy of your credit report. The cleaner your credit report is and the higher your credit score, the more likely you are to be pre-approved for a mortage at a better interest rate.
2. Don't Get Pre-Approved For A Loan ~ Many buyers go looking for houses before seeing a lender about financing. Not knowing how much house you can afford is not the way to start this process. Getting pre-approved can help save time by looking for homes that you know you can really afford instead of falling in love with a house that is out of your price range. One of the easiest ways to avoid doing this is to only look at homes that are within your budget. Do not waste hours searching for a home that is not in your price range! Save time and money by pre-qualifying for a loan and know what you can afford.
3. Look At The Furnishing and And Ignore The Floor Plan ~It may be difficult to look beyond a seller's carpet choice, room colors or big bulky over-loaded furniture, but keep in mind that all these are merely aesthetic and can easily be changed if they aren’t your choice. Look at the "bones" of the house like the size of the rooms, the location and the condition. If you focus on a home’s aesthetics you could be missing out on a great Long Island property.
4. Don'tHire the Right Realtor ~ The Realtor is the best way to find your dream home, but not all Realtor's are equal. The choice is yours and choosing the right Realtor will make a difference on how you feel about the home buying process and how smoothly it will go.
5. Don't Worry About The Extra Costs ~ Some buyers, especially first-time home buyers, don't account for the extra costs associated with buying a home. From closing costs, title insurance, lawyer fees, property taxes, utilities and unexpected surprises, there may be some costs that you hadn't thought about. When you first begin shopping for a home, always ask your lender and attorney to provide you with an average amount of additional closing costs so that you can work them into your budget.
6. Don't Be Ready To Act ~ In desirable areas there may be a large amount of competition. Many buyers may be looking at the same homes as you. If you hesitate, you may very well lose out on your dream home. The best advice is don't begin the process of viewing homes unless you are really ready to buy.
7. Don't Get The Inspection ~ We know finances may be tight the closer you get to the closing table, but passing on the inspection is a mistake. There can be expensive repairs that you may be suprised by, and an inspector may have found. An inspection is definitely worth the cost.
8. Don't Wait, JustJump Right In ~ Buying a home is an exciting time and a sure way to get wrapped up in the excitement. However it's just as important to take it easy so you can be sure you are making the right decision. Being an overwhelmed home buyer could lead to disappointment when it comes to purchasing the largest financial decision you probably will ever make so don't be swept away.
Buying a home is a long-term financial investment. If you're aware of issues ahead of time, you can protect yourself from costly mistakes. Work with an experienced Realtor to guide you through every step of the buying process and make your home buying experience an enjoyable stress-free one!
When you're ready to purchase your first home or condo on Long Island or if you are a seasoned buyer, call our cell 631-805-4400 and we will help you choose a home within your budget, location and style...
This advertisement does not suggest that the broker has listing or transaction in this property or properties or that any property is currently available. If you are contractually working with another broker, this is not a solicitation for your business.. DISCLAIMER: Lawrence & Sheila disclaims liability for any damages or losses, direct or indirect that may result from use or reliance on information contained in the blog or for the accuracy of comments or opinions of visitors to the blogs.
Lawrence "Larry" & Sheila Agranoff. Cell: 631-805-4400
Long Island Condo & Home Sale Specialists
The Top Team @ Charles Rutenberg Realty 255 Executive Dr, Plainview NY 11803
Smithtown,St James,Dix Hills,Melville,North Hills,Manhasset,Ridge,Northport,Commack Huntington,Bay Shore,Stony Brook,Jericho,Port Jeff,Syosset,Muttontown,Setauket