Aside from market trends, economic factors, etc. there's some key elements in marketing a home to get top dollar for it, and in the shortest amount of time. Here's 5 reasons some homes sell faster than others:
1. Curb appeal: If you're a current homeowner think back to what made you fall in love with it? Most likely it was love at first sight. As the old saying goes "you only get one time to make a first impression". Make sure your entry is welcoming, clear of clutter and aesthecially appealing.
2. Right pricing: Whether it's too high or even too low, the wrong pricing can be deadly. Be sure to hire a real estate professional that will ensure you get the right price for your home.
3. Deep clean: Buying a home is an emotional thing and you want buyers to be wowed immediately; because their minds are made up within seconds of entering the home. Hire a professional cleaning service, especially right before an open house is scheduled.
4. Create space: Buyers want to envision themselves living in your home. Make it easy by hiring a home stager (this doesn't have to cost as much as you fear) and clearing out as much as you can. IE: Dress the dining room table so buyers can see themselves sitting there enjoying a meal (you get the idea)....
5. Don't over-upgrade: However, make minor fixes... like leaky faucets, fresh paint where needed (think light, neutral colors), change light fixtures, etc. Make sure everything is working properly. Especially in kitchens and bathrooms. These small things will make a huge impact and can get you top dollar quickly.