Are you sure you want ME to Show You This House? I'm Not Your Agent!
At least a half-dozen times a day, we get calls to schedule a viewing of one of "my" listings. MOST of the time, the listings are are not even my listings! So, the homes that you, as a Charlotte home buyer, are seeing online, are presented by listing agents all across the city.
The calls go something like this:
BUYER: I’d like to see the house at 2010 Johnny Street today or tomorrow. Do you have time to show it to me?
Me: I’d be happy to show you that home and any others that fit your needs but, first, let’s talk about where you are in your home search process. Have you already spoken with a lender and begun the pre-approval process?
BUYER: Oh, yes! We’re pre-approved!
Me: That’s great! Now, who is your real estate agent?
BUYER: Oh, I’m just calling to see this one house. I just want YOU to show me the home. My agent is very busy and I just want to look at the house - if I like it, she'll write up an Offer for me!
Me: Do you know how real estate agents work in North Carolina? Let's chat a minute about agency, which I'm sure your agent has reviewed with you. You do know that even though I'm not the listing agent, nor YOUR agent, I am working as the sellers' subagent?
We also have many callers who are looking exclusively for the listing agent. That is an entirely different blog post!
- Doesn't every single one of your clients think they’re your ONLY client?
- Do you explain agency to your buyers - in that if I do show YOUR buyer the home, I have the right to procuring cause?
- Do you explain to your clients that YOU will handle making appointments for them, that your fiduciary duty is to them?
- Remember: ANY agent other than you, who shows YOUR buyer property, is representing the SELLER, not your buyer.
- Your real estate agent is being paid to completely represent YOU.
- Your agent should be the one making these calls - not YOU.
- Because I am a sub-agent to the Seller (as I am not representing you), anything you tell me can and will be shared with the seller.
- This applies to every single agent that you are phoning to “let you in” (show you) properties without YOUR agent.
We have a form that I have buyers sign when I’m showing them a single property - I WILL be paid should a buyer decide to buy that particular property or any property that I may later show a buyer. So, if you like your agent, you certainly don’t want to be phoning other agents to show you properties - your agent will not be paid!
Have YOUR agent make these appointments for you! That’s what we do - this is our JOB, this is what we are paid to do - for YOUR protection.
A seller sub-agent is NOT representing ANY of your best interests. They are merely opening a door and gathering information that is to be shared with the sellers.
Need a buyers agent who WORKS for you and is never too busy for you? Give us a call at (704) 491-3310 . We are more than happy to assist you in handling ALL of your real estate needs - not just the Offer!
© Debe Maxwell | The Maxwell House Group | CharlotteBroker@icloud.com | Are you sure you want ME to Show You This House? I'm Not Your Agent!