Nelson Notes: The Go-Giver (A little story about a BIG business idea).
Welcome to my notebook, where I share my highlights from the books I read and notes I take. I feature only the books I’ve actually read and that I recommend as worth your while to read and grow from. Givers gain, so I’m sharing the good stuff, that it may impact and improve your life in some way. These are all quotes and excerpts from the author except where *noted.
The Go Giver is a little story about a BIG business idea from a great man known as The Chairman. Give value to others...not as quid pr quo, not as a strategy to get ahead, but because it is, a satisfying and fulfilling way to be." Arianna Huffington from The Go-Giver.
“*Dear reader, if we’re going to take this walk together, I need to know we’re facing the same direction. That you’ll meet this with an expectation, a focus that puts proper value on this Trade Secret. Deposit your faith here and these Five Laws will pay you interest; compound interest!”
“I need you to agree that you will test every Law shown to you here, by actually trying it out. Not by thinking about them, talking about them, but by applying them in your life. You may not see it right away, but it’s not about seeing, it’s about doing”
What Mental Images fill your mind from these Phrases of Simple Brilliance?
- The Five Laws of Stratospheric Success
- Don’t expect the heat to warm you, until you place the logs in the fireplace.
- Meet the The Connector on Monday
- A powerful sense of focus and intention.
- It’s wasn’t the dining, but the dining experience that vaulted the popularity of it.
- The Golden Rule of Business: everyone likes to be appreciated.
- Meet the The CEO on Tuesday
- “Everybody can be great, because everybody can serve.” MLK
- Being broke or being rich are both decisions. Once you decide the rest just plays out. What you focus on is what you get.
- Meet the The CFO on Wednesday
- Giving More Value: sometimes you feel foolish, even look foolish, but you do the thing anyway.
- Enlightened Self-Interest: Win-Win is just disguised score keeping. Forget win-win and just focus on their needs. Keeping track of who owes you what is not being friend, it’s being a creditor. 50/50 is a losing proposition; 100% is the only way.
- What out for what people need, with faith that when you do, you’ll get what you need.
- A genuinely sound business principle will apply anywhere in life-in your marriage, your relationships with your kids & family, your friends, anywhere!
- Meet the The Keynote Speaker on Thursday
- The most valuable gift you have to offer is you!
- Reaching a goal is 10% technical skills or knowledge and 90% people skills. The core of people skills is who you are. It starts with you. Authentic you!
- Meet the The Friday Guest on…well you know.
- It’s not better to give than to receive, in fact that may be insanity. Receiving is the natural result of giving; it’s foolish, it’s arrogant to refuse someone’s right to give back to you.
- *We give without expectation; instead we give with faith.
- People with a greater passion for what they are giving, than what they are getting know and more so, apply The Five Laws of Stratospheric Success
- The Law of Value
“Your true worth is determined by
How much more you give in value
Than you take in payment.”
2. The Law of Compensation
“Your income is determined by
How many people you serve
And how well you serve them.”
3. The Law of Influence
“Your influence is determined by
How abundantly you place
Other people’s interests first.”
4. The Law of Authenticity
“The most valuable gift you have to offer
5. The Law of Receptivity
“The key to effective giving
Is to stay open to receiving.”