"We encourage dissenting and contrarian points of view because our industry is better served by continually examining the status quo. Challenging conventional wisdom is often essential for the evolution of our industry and the development of new opportunities." These words are from Article #7 of ActiveRain's Weltanschauung (a fancy word that means, "The guiding principles and philosophy of an organization").
You do NOT have to go along with the crowd! If you have an opinion, a belief, or a "better way" to accomplish a task or achieve a goal, then feel free to say it here on ActiveRain. When other Brokers and agents say, "That's not the way we do it," you don't have to accept that statement (unless it is a statute, a government regulation, or something in the NAR Code of Ethics). Dare to be disruptive!
The encouragement of "dissenting and contrarian points of view" is also very much in line with the American concept of Freedom of Speech. That concept is enshrined in The Bill of Rights / United States Constitution.
People in the real estate industry (including mortgage lenders, title insurance providers, surveyors, home inspectors, lenders, stagers, attorneys, et al) often have conflicting ideas and opinions about "how things should be".
Below are some common examples where practitioners may have completely different opinions on a topic:
- Part-time Real Estate agents are not as good as full-time agents.
- Part-time agents can be as good or even better than full-time agents.
- A Seller can ask people to remove their shoes before entering a house.
- Nobody should expect Buyers to take off their shoes. How inconvenient!
- NAR made a terrible mistake when they sold away the rights to Realtor.com.
- Realtor.com is better off being run by a professional group like News Corp.
- Staging a home helps get a faster sale at a better price!
- Home Staging is expensive, unnecessary window-dressing.
- The CFPB, Dodd-Frank, and TRID protect consumers.
- CFPB and its bastard step-child TRID should be abolished.
- Real Estate Brokers should boycott Zillow!
- Real Estate Agents should pay for Zillow Premier Agent.
- Cold-calling, door knocking, and print ads are still great marketing methods.
- Print is dead. Nobody wants to be cold-called; nobody likes door knockers.
- Buyers should ride in the same car as the Real Estate agent.
- Buyers should ride in their own car, and follow or meet the agent.
- Real Estate Agents should carry guns for personal protection.
- Real Estate Agents should use pepper spray or a whistle, but never a gun.
- Open Houses are a waste of time, except for builder's model homes.
- Open Houses are great opportunities to sell houses and meet buyers.
- Online Lenders offer rates and fees that are as good as local Lenders.
- Borrowers should only use local Lenders when taking out a mortgage loan.
- You do not need a Home Inspection for New Construction.
- You should get a Home Inspection, even for New Construction.
You can probably think of other topics that are controversial. Or, you may practice a business model that goes against the "accepted" ways of doing business. Go ahead and voice your opinion, either in a blog post, or a comment, or in an answer on the Questions Board.
*Just remember to temper your comments and statements with Article 8 of ActiveRain's Weltanschauung, which prohibits personal attacks, and demands respect and civility.
Article #7 of ActiveRain's Weltanschauung states: "We encourage dissenting and contrarian points of view because our industry is better served by continually examining the status quo. Challenging conventional wisdom is often essential for the evolution of our industry and the development of new opportunities."