Of the nine homes I inspected lsat week, two had brand new smoke detectors. Three had new carbon monoxide detectors, but two had no carbon monoxide detectors at all. Of the smoke detectors that were present, but older older, three were outdated and one had no batteries in it.
All homes in Ontario require working smoke detectors by law, and most require working carbon monoxide detectors as well.
Although I did not find any this past week, some homes do not have either smoke or carbon monoxide detectors installed.
Remember that a smoke detector is are required on each story of the home, and the 2012 Ontario Building Code requires on in each bedroom as well.
Note that if your home is a split level, only one detector is requied on the level as it is considered a single story. However, in this case the smoke detector should be is installed in higher portion of that level or storey.
Smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors must be replaced at least once a year, and batteries at least annually. ( some smoke detectors now come with lifetime year batteries, although batteries do not need replacing and some actually are non-replacable, I still recommend a test of the unit )
If your unit needs to be replaced (due to improper function or age) then remember that a hard wired detector can not be replaced with a battery only unit. Hard wired smoke detectors will often have a third wire, whereby if one detector enters the alarm state, it automatically triggers all the others in the home.
While on the subject, while a basement will require a smoke detector, the crawl space may not. Crawl spaces without finished floors do not require smoke detectors.
Check your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors now, it may save your life.
One final note, November 10th of 2016, Kidde had a recall on combination smoke and carbon monoxide alarms due to alarm failures.
The risk was that the alarm unit may fail to continue the chirping sound when reaching end of life, even if the batteries were replaced. This can lead consumers to believe the unit is still functional, and can create a risk to homeowners who may not be alerted to the presence of a fire or carbon monoxide gas present in their home.