Google is known for creating paradigm shifts and they are shifting again!
Remember when Google Maps changed how we used maps? Then, they improved it adding Google Earth. Then they added Street Views after sending camera crews down most major public streets.
What they are adding now is interior photos and more localized data. To do that, they need people to take the time to take and upload photos, and help provide data for them to populate on their Google Maps. They call these volunteers that upload and update data Google Local Guides.
You earn points for updating and sharing data. As you earn points, you gain levels and benefits. The points are obtained by: writing reviews; uploading photos to Google Maps; answering questions about places on Google Maps; adding new places; and editing existing places.
As a beginning Level 1 Guide (0-4 points), you get the following benefits:
- Local Guides newsletter
- Join Google-hosted workshops and Hangouts
- Enter in exclusive contests for Local Guides
As a level 2 = 5-49 points, you get the following:
- Early access to new Google products and features
- Promote your own meet-ups on the Local Guides calendar
Level 3 = 50-199 points will gain you:
- Local Guides badge in Google Maps
- Exclusive Local Guides community
- Moderate Local Guides community channels
- Receive invites to Google-hosted events
Level 4 = 200-499 points
- Free Google Drive storage
- Eligible to be featured in Local Guides online channels
Level 5 = 500+ points
- Eligible for Trusted Testing opportunities — access Google products and features before they are made public
- Eligible to attend the Local Guides summit
Currently, I am a level 3 Local Guide. I have uploaded 89 photos and they have already been viewed 84,118 times! I am a member of the Greater Boise Chamber of Commerce so I will start taking more photos of Ribbon Cuttings to add and sometimes add them for Place Creation.
Fortunately, I have a Pixel XL phone on Project Fi which allows me unlimited full resolution photo storage as well from Google! As a Realtor in Boise, Idaho; it only makes sense to contribute to Google Maps and share my knowledge of the local area. Getting my name in front of people is a huge benefit and it is free!
Get started today as a Google Local Guide by signing up on their website: