We've been doing our best to put the "Active" in ActiveRain for almost 7 years, and there are many key lessons to learn. The quicker you learn and apply, the better your Rain experience:
1. Playing nice in the sandbox mattered in kindergarten and it matters here too. This community isn't a place for bare knuckle brawls. If you're looking to fight, I've got a few places to suggest for you to look, but the Rain isn't one of them.
2. Posts and comments are permanent. Thank you Interwebs and it's a double edged sword. If we do things right, we get found, we get business. We do things wrong, we get found, we LOSE business.
3. Everything you need to know to grow your business is right here. It might take some digging, but there are templates for blogging, experts sharing SEO tips, free picture sources, advice on how to blog for business, relationship building and more.
4. You don't have to meet them to be friends. I've made a LOT of friends in the Rain over the years. Some are still active in the Rain, some aren't, but we still keep in touch. I've been fortunate to meet many Rainers and it's never been like meeting a stranger.
5. Real estate is local. We're all trying to do the same thing (help people transfer ownership), but HOW we do it might be vastly different. Knowing the differences just might give us an idea on how to do things better for our own market.
6. Blogging gets easier. The more you practice, the more ideas come to you and the faster you can construct your posts. And you learn what is a good topic to pursue, and what isn't going to help your business.
7. Niche blogging can be VERY powerful. Find the right niche and saturate it and watch your business grow.
8. Write evergeen posts with solid content whenever possible. Assume THAT post is your first impression on a consumer or potential referral agent.
9. Be yourself. Unless you're a jerk. People here want to interact with people they feel like they've gotten to know, so it's okay to post about things other than real estate. Your pets, your kids, your local area, your history. All fair game and part of building relationships.
10. Rainers WANT to help you. Got a problem? Just ask. Chances are someone might have the answer. Use the Q&A section, ask an ambassador, ask a Rainer, call/text/email, but ask. I've NEVER had anyone here refuse to help when asked.
Until next Tuesday, just Ask An Ambassador if you need help!
Bill of Liz and Bill aka BLiz