Kristine Ginsberg is an award-winning home stager and this article
demonstrates her expertise in the field.
Be sure to follow her blog for more great tips!
Top Staging Tips From Top Stager USA 2017
This year NJ’s Elite Staging was again awarded Top Professional Home Stager USA 2017 by RESA (Real Estate Staging Association) so we know a few things about preparing your home for the market. Below we give our top staging do’s and don’ts based on our many years of experience. My hope is that Realtors can pass this list onto thier clients as a guide on getting their home market ready.
1. Think you know more than your Realtor and insist on listing your home over their recommendation. They are the experts and why you hired them. No amount of staging will overcome an overpriced home.
2. Assume buyers are going to take on your deferred maintenance like leaky faucets, chipped molding, broken doorbells, running toilets or torn screens. Today’s buyers want turnkey homes.
3. Cram all your stuff into closets and cabinet space. Consider it a given that buyers will look in all these spaces and if they are filled to the brim, they will perceive less storage space - a big negative.
4. Neglect curb appeal – this is buyers first impression of your home and it needs to be positive. Whether you hire a landscaping company or make it a DIY project, make sure your hedges are trimmed (especially if they obscure natural light from coming inside), and keep your walkways, driveway and porch free of debris. This gives buyers the perception of a well maintained home.
5. Wait to the last minute to complete your to-do list. Be proactive and organize your home as soon as you decide to sell. Discard or donnate anything you don't need and pack up family photos, collections and memorabilia. A clutter free home always shows better and you'll have less stress when your home does sell. It's a win-win.
6. Assume buyers are pet lovers – some are not and/or they have pet allergies. During showings temporarily remove them from the house. Yes, this is a hassle, but it’s temporary and your goal is to sell quickly.
1. Paint the interior when necessary! If your wall colors are loud, not in great conditon or taste specific (basically anything that isn’t neutral), invest in painting. Nothing brightens and updates a home more than a fresh coat of paint. Right now grays are the most popular - see my blog on color choices.
2. Give every room a purpose taking the guess work out for buyers. If you’re selling your home as a 4 bedroom, but have been using one of the rooms as an office/home gym, return it to a bedroom. If you have a small room with no closet, make that room an office.
3. Shampoo your rugs so they are clean and odor free. While you can do this yourself if you have a carpet cleaner, it's best to call a professional. They are experts at getting old stains out. In additon, open your windows and let the fresh air in every few days.
4. Make your master bedroom non-gender specific. Invest in neutral bedding and add some decorative pillows – think of high-end hotels which are designed to appeal to the masses.
5. Hire a professional photographer. This is so important when 96% of buyer's first impression of your home will be your online presentation. Most of us are visual creatures and great MLS shots will translate to more foot traffic.
6. Invest in a home staging consultation. We are the experts on preparing your home for the market and highly skilled at playing the"bad cop" without offending sellers.
Elite Staging and Redesign - Kristine Ginsberg - 201 602 2562
Home Staging Morris County - Staged to Sell, Designed to Live!
You have 90 seconds to make a great first impression once your home goes on the market. Consult a Morris County professional home stager serving Union, Essex, Sussex Counties for that competitive edge so your home stands out from the competition, selling faster and for top dollar!
Elite Staging and Redesign offers home staging services to North Jersey homeowners, real estate agents, banks, builders, and investors in preparing homes to stand out in today’s real estate market. For a consultation on vacant staging, lived in homes or interior redesign projects call Elite Staging and Redesign at 201-602-2562.