Spring is an ideal time to give your house a face-lift. From paving the driveway to repairing the sidewalk, the warm weather can be an ideal time to not only enjoy the outdoors, but a good time to improve the curb appeal and value of your home.
One common outdoor project…A new fence. Whether you’re looking to install a decorative wooden garden fence, a chain link border for your pets, a panel fence, or a substantial privacy fence, there are some things you’ll want to keep in mind before you begin:
1. A permit may be required for fence construction. These may be issued by your county or your city, depending on where you live.
2. The size of fence may dictate need for permit. Some communities do not require permits for smaller fences.
3. If your fence shares a border with your neighbor. Certain permits may require proof of your neighbor’s consent, plus plans and/or drawings that detail how you’ll go about building your fence.
4. Permit fees for fences can range anywhere from $20 to above $100. If you use a company to build your fence, often they will secure the permits for you (but you’ll still have to pay for the permitting fee).
5. You’ll need to know how much concrete to buy for your fencepost footings. One easy way to figure this out is use this handy online concrete calculator:
6. Check YouTube for helpful fence tutorials: Watch this handy and professional video produced by Lowe’s:
Best of luck with your summer project!
If you’re looking for a home with more land or new fences installed already, give me a call. I can help you find the ideal property.
Bowie, MD Real Estate Listings, Upper Marlboro MD Real Estate Listings, Silver Spring MD Real Estate Listings, Washington DC Real Estate Listings and Real Estate Services. Denise Watkins is your local Real Estate Expert for Upper Marlboro and the surrounding areas! Looking for a Realtor who can help you sell or purchase a home, my online services are available to assist you now and you can also email, text, or call me: Denise Watkins 202-489-5478.