Of course, it is up to the Seller if they request that you conduct one... and I almost always recommend at least one public one, in addition to one for agents. The main objective for having an open house is to get as much traffic through as possible in an effort to reach the desired goal, a sale.
You never know who is coming through the door, it could be a neighbour prospecting for a family friend or relative looking to move into the area. It could be another agent prospecting for his/her Buyer. Or, it could be a potential buyer who saw the Open House signs and decided to look at the home.
Have you ever wondered what tools the super stars in the industry use every single time they do an Open House and what sets them apart from the rest?
Here are just some of the things I try to do when conducting a successful open house.
- Place an ad in the local newspaper advertising the Open House
- Place an Open House sign in front of the property, or two if you have extra.
- Send out flyers in the neighbourhood , to family and friends, hot buyers. You can reach a multitude of people via email. Send this information to other agents too
- Place open house directional A frame signs in strategic places on several street corners easily directing traffic to your open house
- Always have guest register at the front door. I use an APP on my iPad called Open Home Pro and I always ask for ID. This is a great way to keep track of who is coming in to the Sellers's home.
- Lock up all valuables, i.e. jewellery, laptop computers, etc. Make sure there is nothing that can easily be slipped into a pocket or purse.
- Remove all prescription drugs from medicine cabinets, or any area where guests might have access.
- Remove any guns or firearms from view or from anywhere in the home.
- Monitor the traffic flow at a level you can manage safely and effectively. If there are more than one couple in the home, lock the door and post a sign on the door indicating there is a showing in progress and you will be with them shortly.
- Find an area in the home where you can properly set up colour feature sheets, your computer if necessary and other relative information.... List of schools.
- Have mortgage information readily available for each specific property to identify monthly payments for mortgage terms available with the appropriate rates.
- Have a fresh bouquet of flowers on the dining or kitchen tables
- Have some soft music playing in the background
- If the home has a fireplace, turn it on if it is in the colder months
- Have a tray or plate of freshly baked cookies, the fragrance is inviting and promotes positive images
- Have some lightly scented candles burning
- If it is a large home, have another agent in attendance to assist if the traffic is heavy
- You may want to have some bottled water to hand out to buyers.
- Have a supply of your business cards on hand and hand them out to each visitor.
- Have a blank offer on hand for that specific property.
- Have a copy of the inspection report on display if one has been conducted.
- If the property has exceptional landscaping, or a large back yard with a pool, ask the sellers to provide you with some photographs of summer shots, displaying the property at its best.
- Have a supply of colour brochures with photos of the primary rooms of the house. Include specific information about the home, i.e. lot size, room dimensions, property taxes, list any easements or encumbrances if any.
- If the property is a townhouse or condominium, include the monthly maintenance fees, whether there are any special assessments if known, what the regulations are with respect to pets., and whether the parking space is assigned use or owned, and all amenities the building has.
- Don't be pushy or aggressive.... Be there to offer assistance if needed or to answer questions, and offer information about the home.
In addition to the above, have all the information you need to answer any questions about the property that a prospective buyer may ask, i.e.
- age of the home
- what is the preferred closing date?
- where are the closest elementary and high schools?
- where is the Catholic church, or Synagogue?
- where is the closest park?
- where are the closest major highways for commuting?
- where is the closest recreational centre?
- where is the closest shopping mall?
- where is the closest hospital?
- what is included in the purchase price, i.e. are the appliances included, or the window treatments, etc.
Lastly, and THE MOST IMPORTANT .... Have a positive attitude, and wear a smile !
I am the proud recipient of the Quality Service Certified Platinum award for outstanding service to my clients - a rating of 100%. Read a few of my testimonials below.
Visit me on Facebook: www.facebook.com/STREETSVILLEREALESTATE
Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com/streetsvilhomes
Experience, Service and Integrity in Every Real Estate Transaction
Dedicated to providing outstanding service one would expect and deserve from a reaL estate professional.
If you know anyone moving to the Mississauga area, I am here to help! Call me at 416-717-6331