After moving into my new home, i decided I needed some unique cabinet pulls in my modern kitchen to warm it up. I began searching online, and I have to say, I was quite disappointed in the available inventory. There were a few unique cabinet pulls I liked, like the ones from anthropologie. However, most of these pulls start at $10/a knob. So, I started to think I could do this myself, and create something truly unique.
My first experiment into DIY knobs was with using sculpy clay. I had some existing very plain knobs that I covered with sculpy. Then I pressed the knob into an embossed sheet of scrapbook paper. This is the result.
Next, I experimented with wrapping sculpy around hexagonal tiles. I found these tiles at Lowe's for around 6/sheet. I used the same strategy as before, imprinting the clay on the tile with the scrapbook paper. After I baked the tiles I used epoxy glue to adhere this little piece of hardware to the tile. I can't remember the name of this piece but it's a small cylinder with the interior threaded so that the screw will enter this piece once it's inserted in the cabinet front.
I also experimented with using wood and the clay as shown in the featured photo of this post. I made a small clay medallion with the sculpy. Adhered it to the wooden disk with E6000, and then adhered the cabinet hardware piece to the back with E6000. I decided to use paint pen around the edges for the silver. If I were to actually use this in a kitchen or bathroom, I would spray it with a clear top coat.
After my adventures with sculpy, I decided to play around with resin. I had been wanting to experiment with resin for a long time after seeing the gorgeous live edge wood pieces using resin. For my first experiment with resin I used Glaze Coat. It's a two part resin that you can find near the wood sealants at any hardware store.
These are my results.
I dropped dried wildflowers into the molds to preserve these bluebonnets and other spring beauties. These still need to be polished so that they are crystal clear, and I will need to adhere the hardware with e6000 or I may try to just drop screws directly in the molds next time.