Inna here shares important information for California landlords and tenants on the issue of smoking marijuana. Most of my landlord clients already stipulate "No smoking" as a requirement for renting. For people who medically need the THC or CBC in marijuana, there are other alternatives including edibles and topicals. Smoking forces others to receive these chemicals against their will.
Must a landlord reasonably accommodate a tenant's use of medical marijuana or allow a tenant to use it inside the rental unit? Is it a discrimination and against fair housing law, if the landlord refuses?
Even, according to Proposition 64 it is ''legal'' for adults to use marijuana in California, a lease agreement will likely have a ''no smoking'' clause that prohibits smoking of any substance, whether it is tobacco or marijuana. Proposition 64 specifically provides that landlords may prohibit or restrict cannabis use on the property.
Also remember, that under federal law, marijuana is a scdedue 1 drug with no accepted medical use. Furthermore, the user of illegal drugs will not be considered an individual with disability under the Americans with Disabilites Act. Thus, the landlords have the right to prohibit the use of medical marijuana inside the rental unit or ask the tenants to move out, if they find out that the tenants smoke weed inside despite the lease agreement signed terms.
My kind advice for Angelenos with medical need for weed: be respectful to your Landlord and neighbors. Keep your rental home smoke free and clean.
This Active Rain post is created by Inna Ivchenko.
Thank you so much for checking my blog, likes and comments!Inna Ivchenko
RealtorⓇ, Cal DRE # 01828994, GRI, GREEN, PSC, HAFA
Barcode Properties at Calabasas & Beverly HillsLooking for houses? Download my app!
http://app.barcodeproperties.com/BCODEINNA/OR by text 📲 Bcodeinna to 87778!
It is free to search a property for sale, lease, and open houses. It is easy to set a customized search criteria and contact me in this application!
Reasons to HIRE ME:
- Your local friendly Realtor® since 2007 providing great loyal service and truthful guidance!
- Ready to assist you with a Purchase, Sale & ReSale, Trust Sale, Luxury Rentals.
- Devoted to help first time buyers, sellers, and investors.
- Experienced in distressed sales, foreclosures, auctions, probates.
- Standing up as GRI NAR designated (Graduate of Realtors Institute)
- Passionate GREEN Realtor, NAR designated
- PSC (Pre-foreclosure Specialist Certification)
- Cerified HAFA Specialist
- Short Sale Negotiator (100% successful track record and free service for homeowners).
For all your real estate needs please call 310-867-0698 or