It's amazing after a disaster how popular your neighborhood becomes. Suddenly every cleaning service, contractor and handyman becomes available. Your mailboxes are full of flyers and business cards, signs are posted everywhere and the endless knocks on the doors. Be aware... Don't let these individuals take advantage of you during this vulnerable time. Before you hire a contractor or sign and documents for repairs, here is some basic advise.
* Don't hire the first contractor that comes along. Get at least 3 bids.
* Don't get rushed into repairs.
* Watch out for the door to door offers, check references or gets recommendations from friends and family.
* Make sure you are dealing with a contractor that has a license for the work that needs to be done.
* Get a written detailed contract for the work that needs to be done.
* Never give a cash deposit.