If you ask some people why they choose to only purchase the state minimum for auto insurance, they’ll probably tell you it’s because they think they can slide by safely without ever getting into accidents. Well, by now, everyone knows that that is not true. No one is exempt from auto accidents. Old news, right?
The other reason that people normally give is that they aren’t even sure what kind of coverage they need, or what their options are. And no one wants to go talk to an agent.
If you know people like this, or if you are one of them yourself, here’s a little coverage crash-course for you:
• Bodily Injury Liability: This coverage is actually required in most states. It compensates the driver of the other car and its passengers when you get into an accident, as well as the passengers in your car.
• Property Damage Liability: Pays for the repair and replacement of the other guy’s car or property when you get into an accident.
• Personal Injury Protection: Pays for the medical and funeral costs associated with an accident for you and your family — regardless of whose fault it was.
• Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist: Pays for medical and funeral costs for you and your family when you get into an accident with either a hit-and-run driver or a driver who doesn’t have enough auto insurance. These policies usually cover bike and pedestrian accidents, too. Given the prevalence of uninsured drivers nationally, this coverage is essential.
• Collision and Comprehensive: Collision reimburses you for the full cost of repairs or replacement of your car after an accident. Comprehensive ensures your car’s safety if it’s damaged by a natural disaster, vandalism, or theft.
These are the basic coverage plans that are offered along with minimum Connecticut auto insurance. If you still don’t want to go in and speak with an insurance agent, you get an online quote at virtual independent agencies like ElliottInsurance.com. They have a tiny form for you to fill out stating the types of coverage you’d like, then they let you know how much it will be. It’s never been easier to shop for auto insurance.