I'm from West Virginia and proud of it. We're a little state and often you don't hear much from us. But I have a feeling you already know some West Virginians, and hopefully you like us. Here's a short list of some West Virginians who have made a name for themselves out in the world.
- Col. Ruby G. Bradley, the most decorated woman in American military history. (WV girls ROCK.)
- Kathy Mattea, Country Singer (Gotta love a girl who can say, "You boys come here to race or just kiss?")
- Pearl Buck, Nobel Prize winning Author
- Don Knotts, Lovable Actor
- George Brett, Hall of Fame Baseball Player
- Brad Paisley, Country Singer
- Jennifer Garner, Actress. Proving that WV chicks can kick butt and look great doing it. (Born in Texas, she claims WV as home.)
- Jerry West, voted in the top 50 all time best NBA players
- Tom Wilson, creator of Ziggy cartoons. Hey, West Virginians are NICE. Ziggy proves it.
- Randy Moss, NFL player. OK, not ALL West Virginians are nice. But some can really play some football!
- Jeff Turner, President of Real Estate Shows. (Did you know?)
- Michael W. Smith, Contemporary Christian singer songwriter
- John Corbett, hottie from My Big Fat Greek Wedding, Sex in the City and more.
- Jennings Randolph, Senator. If you voted when you were 18, thank this guy.
- Mary Lou Retton, Olympic gold medalist and very perky West Virgnian.
- Homer H. Hickman, Jr., author of Rocket Boys, which was made into the movie October Sky.
- General Chuck Yeager, pilot and the first person to fly faster than the speed of sound. Then, because West Virginians are always up for a game of "Y'all watch this", he was the first to fly TWICE the speed of sound. Oh, yeah.
For lots more on West Virginians, visit this site on famous West Virginians.