1. Preventive maintenance. This is not about replacing kitchen cabinets or installing granite counters. Make necessary repairs to any leaks in the roof, seal gaps in the siding, paint bare wood, replace damaged decking, patch cracks in concrete, and caulk around tubs and showers.
2. Safety. Are your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors working? Alarm and security system inplace? Surge supsressors on your techno stufff? Check fuel-burning appliances to make sure they are properly vented and no gas connections leak. Is your electrical system adequate. Flickering lights and popping breakers are the sign of a problem. How about stair rails? Are they secure?
3. Conserve energy. Install a programmable thermostat, weatherstrip doors and windows, fix leaking faucets, upgrade insulation, and replace leaky windows. How about a timer for your hot water heater?
4. Go green. Consider environmentally friendly materials for windows, doors, siding, decking, fencing, roofing, flooring, and insulation.
5. Improve comfort. Get rid of clutter, open up spaces, update window treatments to allow in more light, and organize closets and storage.