Are you qualified for a Homestead Exemption and have you applied?
Many South Carolina residents don’t know about the Homestead Exemption program and therefor are paying higher property taxes than they should be.
How you qualify
1. Hold complete fee simple title or life estate to your PRIMARY RESIDENCE
2. As of December 31, of the preceding tax year you were a legal resident of South Carolina for one (1) year
3. As of December 31, of the preceding tax year of the exemption you were
> at leas 65 years of age or
> declared totally and permanently disabled by a state or federal agency having the authority to make such a declaration or
> legally blind as certified by a licensed ophthalmologist
The Surviving Spouse of a qualified or potentially qualified Homestead recipient may also receive the benefit.
Where do I apply?
You may apply for the Homestead Exemption at your County Auditor’s office. If you are unable to go to the Auditor’s office, an agent can make an application for you.
What documnets are needed?
1. If you are applying due to age, bring your birth certificate, Medicaid card, Medicare card, or driver’s license.
2. If you are applying due to disability, you will need present documentation from the state or federal agency certifying the disability.
3. If you are applying due to blindness, you will need to present documentation from a licensed ophthalmologist.
Do I need to re-apply annually?
No, only in the case of the death of the eligible owner or if you move to a new home will re-application be necessary.
However the following change may affect your eligibility and must be reported to the County Auditor’s office immediately; change in disability, change of ownership, rental of your home, remarriage of the surviving spouse.
What is the benefit?
The program exempts the first $50,000.00 (fifty thousand dollars) of the value of your home from all property taxes. In turn saving you hundreds of dollars on your real estate tax bill.
In Horry County whom do I contact?
Shelby Anderson, Coordinator Homestead Exemption Program - Horry County Auditor’s office - (843) 915-5051