REQUIREMENTS FOR LOAN APPROVAL
To obtain a VA loan, the law requires that:
- The applicant must be an eligible veteran who has available entitlement.
- The loan must be for an eligible purpose.
- The veteran must occupy or intend to occupy the property as a home within a reasonable period of time after closing the loan.
- The veteran must be a satisfactory credit risk.
- The income of the veteran and spouse, if any, must be shown to be stable and sufficient to meet the mortgage payments, cover the costs of owning a home, take care of other obligations and expenses, and have enough left over for family support.
An experienced mortgage lender will be able to discuss specific income and other qualifying requirements.