Most of us seek out references on a daily basis. What's that new movie with the talking gorilla like? Is that a decent car? What kind of hockey coach is he? Heck, I'll ask 30 people about a new restaurant before spending $8.95 on the Lumberjack breakfast special (I can be fussy about my pancakes!).
So isn't it amazing that most people never even consider asking for references from the person they are about to hand their house keys to? Selling your home is a massive decision. It can go smoothly and take you to your happy place or it can leave you feeling extremely frustrated. Your choice of REALTOR® should be the first step in determining which outcome you will have.
The best way to find out what a sales representative is really like is to call some of their former clients. Most people feel awkward about calling someone they don't know. They don't know what to say. So to make it easier, here's 10 questions to ask when calling your agent's references. And if they can't provide you with any references I'd listen to those alarm bells ringing in your head:
- What was he like to deal with?
- Did he return your calls promptly?
- Did he get you a good price?
- How hard did he work for you?
- Was your property well-displayed on the internet?
- Were there any complications?
- Did he always tell you the truth?
- Was he always looking out for you or just interested in getting paid?
- What did he do that you liked best?
- Would you use his services again?