You can never have too many home safety tips. So, here's a really cool tool! You can take a safety tour through a virtual home. On the tour, you'll go to each room and learn about leading home dangers and how to keep your family safe. MySafeHome.org features state-of-the-art digital motion graphics animation, bringing home safety to life.
I've listed the TOP 10 Home Safety Tips:
1. Install smoke alarms on every level of your home and outside every sleeping area. Test them monthly. If your smoke alarms are 10 years old or more, replace them. If you build or remodel your home, install fire sprinklers.
2. Develop a fire escape plan for your family: Point out two exits from each room, pick a meeting spot outside, and hold a fire drill at least twice a year.
3. Always stay in the kitchen while food is cooking on the stove.
4. Keep all stairways, paths and walkways well lit. Use railing.
5. Install grab bars in bath and shower stalls, and use a non-slip mat or adhesive safety strips inside bathtubs and showers.
6. Post the National Poison Control Hotline Number (1-800-222-1222) and other emergency numbers next to every phone in your home.
7. Install child locks on all cabinets used to store dangerous items such as poisons, matches and lighters. Install carbon monoxide alarms.
8. Keep your water heater setting at 120 degrees Fahrenheit or less.
9. Install four-sided pool fencing with self-locking and self-closing gates. Fencing should completely isolate the pool from the home and be at least 5 feet high.
10. Constantly supervise children in or near bodies of water such as pools, ponds, bathtubs, toilets and buckets.
Stay Alert, Stay Alive!
Courtsy of Yvette Smith, SRES® REALTOR® WILLIASMBURG REAL ESTATE 757-753-7472 Long & Foster Realtors 6610-J Mooretown Road Williamsburg, VA 23188 YvetteSmith@AtHomeInWilliamsburg.com