Running an excavator can get a bit tricky. Here are a few tips on handling a mini-excavator:
- Car rules apply: fasten your seatbelt and make sure you're strapped in tightly enough.
- Make sure you've checked the fuel before you begin your shift.
- Enforce daily maintenance checks on the excavator to make sure everything is in order.
- Areas where the excavator is in use should be clearly marked to cut down on injuries to passersby.
- Wear protective sunglasses to keep the sun's glare from blocking your vision while you're operating the excavator.
- Don't undercut the tracks during excavation. This could result in a trench cave-in.
- Don't pick up too much weight. Know your limits. Attempting to lift too much weight could result in a tip-over.
- Tracks should be on firm, solid ground that won't collapse under the weight of the excavator.
These are just a few of the safety measures you should take before and during operation of a mini excavator. Make sure anyone using the machine knows these same rules.
For more information on excavator insurance and safety, contact us today! We're DC Insurers, based in Aurora, Colorado.