A new beginning
Within the grasp of mortals
Who dare to persist
At times, I can be the most cynical guy in the room. This moment won't be one of those times.
As 2008 nears to an end, there's a lot of stuff screwed up right now. We live in interesting times. I dare say that economically, most of us won't see this again in our lifetime. That's the good news.
The bad news is we have challenges before us. Sorry, this ain't euphoria. In challenging times, we can fly or die... I'd like to think there is no in between. Yet, there is. Most of us are already there.
I see that "in between" as a spirit of sorts. It rides upon the survival of one of the more unique species land has held. That would be us. You know, that group of imperfect characters chasing acorns in a big & mysterious world... that's us. We seem to be a pretty persistent part of survival in this world. At least we'd like to think so:)
I've been doing some heavy thinking recently, which is the second reason smoke is billowing from my humble abode. While happiness seems to be our divine bottom line, I do wonder about us... about me. Am I going to be okay? Are we?
If you are like me, you've read a lot of facts and figures and watched plenty of the news. If you aren't like me, you are probably just bombarded by it. I admire the folks that own no cell phone, have no internet, and haven't payed a cable bill in ten years. At least they live in reality rather than have the perception of reality thrust upon them by various outlets of the media.
Times are a bit turbulent, ladies and gents. How's that for my role in playing master of the obvious? I suppose I should answer the question that this title asks. My answer is quite simple, "I don't know for a fact but I'm pretty damn sure." I do know that we are some resilient mother pluckers and we don't sit by to let someone else sort things out. The blessed part of the answer to the question posed is that we always know. It's within.
I read somewhere recently that 94% of folks concentrate on the negative which leaves 6% of the people to pick up the optimistic slack. I'm not sure where that statistic was pulled from but I'm guessing it might not be a far reach from the truth. Especially in challenging times such as these. I suppose it is easy to play the part of looking at all the negatives without equally recognizing the layers of light that always accompany them.
Far be it for me to be the rose colored messenger to the masses, but strength in spirit is our greatest gift. There are signs of it in our history, our present, our outlook to the future. It may not always be present in the outer workings of this world, leave it not dormant among the shadows of our souls. There are no shadows without the light.
So as we bring down the curtain on 2008, let hope, simple kindness, & human spirit lead us into another year on planet earth. My guess is we will be just fine:)
The passion of the longing
For it is right there