The Veillard House in downtown St Petersburg, Florida, has had an interesting history. It was built in 1901 and designed by Henry DuPont for Ralph and Minnie Veillard. Veillard had a farm supply business/general storeand was in local politics. Originally from Laval, France, he came to St Pete via Canada, Baltimore and Ocala. DuPont designed several St Petersburg buildings, the most noteworth being the Don ceSar Hotel. He did not design a lot, as he stayed small with only a few draftsmen - he did his own electrical and mechanical drawings.
The crenelated or rusticated concrete blocks are typical of the St Petersburg homes built between 1900 and 1915. Most are gray concrete color, so this pink-brown tone (brownstone) is unique to the area. It has some elements of the bungalow style (note the overhang on the roof and the exposed roof rafters, the wide front porch and large windows on the main level) and others of the Queen Anne (the hexagonal tower barely visible on the right). The gable ends have half-timber ornamentation. This two story home is said to have 4,600 sq ft and does not have a garage.
In the late 1970s the house was going to be torn down so that retirement apartments could be built. Instead, it was purchased by Francis Pruitt and moved two blocks to its present location. It is one of very few single family homes left in downtown. It was leased to the Junior League, and later held general offices. It was purchased in 2006 by Blake Whitney Thompson, a local developer.
The roof appears to be slate tiles, but it's actually a GREEN roof - it's made of "rubber" tiles, actually a new material called Thermal Poly Olefine (TPO) from recycled polyethylene, polypropylene and EPDM rubber, and also has UV protection against our heavy sun. These roof tiles have a 50 year warranty, look like expensive roofing, but cost only slightly more than asphalt shingles.
The corner home is surrounded on two sides by the Huntington Townhomes, so it's unlikely it will ever be dwarfed by a highrise.