So yesterday, I posted a few easy tricks to make your home show & present itself better in this current market. Today, I thought I'd talk a bit about some ways to make it better that might cost a little more and/or take a bit more time.
- Clean the carpets. Really, this isn't that expensive of an item (depending on the size of your house) but it can make a night & day difference in how your home shows. Think about it, if you were buying a home, wouldn't you want to walk into one that looked & smelled super-clean? If it didn't, I know I'd expect to have the sellers make the price of the home reflect it's condition.
- Have a professional stager come in. Believe it or not, it really doesn't cost THAT much to get an initial consultation. Margaret_Oscilia is a gal that I've worked with who will go through and use even the client's own furnishings to stage the home. Her consultation to me was less than $200!
- Paint. Anywhere. Inside, outside, if it needs touching up - do it! Should you paint? Well, if your house is the same color it was when you moved in, it probably could use a new coat of paint. If you've done a lot of custom colors throughout (like cottoncandy pink in your daughter's room, or spongepainting red & blue in a son's room) you would do potential buyers a favor by neutralizing the room a bit.
- Wallpaper. Don't put it up, take it down. Especially if it was done in the "trendy 90's" abstract patterns & colors. It was just right then, but now it makes your house look dated. I went through a home yesterday that is beautiful, but the wallcoverings are so dated that it was a little hard to see past it. Same goes for the draperies of that era - the loud florals should come down, and some simple neutrals go up. You'll be amazed at the difference it can make for a low investment cost.
- Declutter. This one is probably the hardest & most painful of them all. I know - it's a TON of work! But think about this, you are wanting to move, you will have to pack it anyway. Why not get it done now? Not only will you have a more "spartan" look in the house (allowing the buyers to envision their OWN stuff in the house), you will also have half the house packed already!
Best wishes for getting your house sold!