Below is an article from our monthly newsletter Prepare! Feel free to share these ideas with your clients on your next listing presentation.
Budget is a huge concern for everyone these days and now more than ever home sellers are anxious about spending money to get their homes ready for sale. Each month we will feature a different area of the home and share quick and affordable changes your client can make.
Front Door First Impressions: The saying that "first impressions are everything" is especially true when you are selling your home. Buyers often judge the appearance of the front door as an indication of the condition of the rest of the home. Here are some easy ideas to make sure your first impression is a great one.
- There is nothing like old fashioned elbow grease! Grab a cleaning cloth and some metal polish and get to work polishing the front door knob, knocker, and kickplate. Don't forget to polish any light fixtures too.
- Sweep away those pesky cobwebs from any overhangs and light fixtures.
- Replace any non-working light bulbs.
- Powerwash any mildew or residue on front porches or landings.
- Wipe down the front door to remove any marks.
- Repaint the front door with a fresh coat of paint to make it look like new. Not sure what color to choose? Typically you should have no more than three colors on the exterior of your home. Your siding/stone/brick is one color, the trim a second color and shutters or doors a third color. Opt for classics like hunter green, black or cranberry red.
- Add a new door mat in a natural fiber like coir or sisal. I recommend an oversized mat to give your home a more stately look. Bed Bath and Beyond and Target stock these year round.
- Add urns or pots with annuals to frame the entrance to your home. Small arbor vitae trees will work year round- even in winter.
- Replace your old hardware with a new handle and lock set to give your front door a mini makeover. Home Depot and Lowes offers many to choose from.
- Add new sconces or light fixtures to update the entrance of your home .