I first discovered my emerging tail wlthout knowing what one was.
A year or so ago on my regular San Diego real estate website I discovered that someone had landed on the site with the search term rimless shower doors and wondered what on earth that had to do with real estate or my website. Some simple research led me deep into one of my long descriptions about a listing that happened to have rimless shower doors.
"Ha!" thought I. "Google isn't the super sharp tool I thought it to be...." What do rimless shower doors have to do with San Diego Real Estate? Beats me, but it spurred thinking about the possibilities. In fact, I wrote a blog about Long Tail 101 early in my ActiveRain association, and am still amazed at what that a growing long tail can attract:
Just last night, I fell out my chair laughing when Luxury Home Digest ended up as the #2 entry under the Google search term: Ways to Shave --which just missed out to:
My article? Ways to Shave Your Carbon Footprint--a very tame article meant as a tribute to Earth Day.
1. #4 Snoring Rooms (Google)
2. #9 Short Sales Realtor (Google)
3. #32 Luxury Home Listings (MSN Search)
4. #8 Switchable Mirror (Google)
5. #2 Bedroom TV Beds (AOL Search)
6. #1 San Diego Short Sale Home (Google)
7. #8 Underbed TV (Google)
8. #8 Blue wood woodsmart solutions (Google)
10. #64 Home Staging San Diego (Google)
These results aren't highly scientific with a sampling of only ten, but some initial conclusions might be drawn.
- Google is the 900 pound search gorilla.
- Keep an eye on social bookmarking sites like reddit and digg.
- People really like their TV's.
- More people snore than we ever imagined.