Finding a Mover
One of the first things you need to do to prepare for your move is to decide on a mover. When selecting a mover, always obtain a written cost estimate from each moving company. Fees for local moves, 50 miles or less, are usually determined on a hourly basis. Long distance moves generally are priced by load weight and mileage. For long distance moves, purchase protection at full value for each item being moved.
Thirty Days Before
- Determine what you're going to move and start getting rid of everything else.
- Decide what you are going to pack yourself and what the movers will pack.
- Notify the post office of your new address. Fill out change of address cards.
- Gather medical and dental records for all family members.
- Notify schools and arrange to have transcripts and records forwarded to the new schools.
- Close local charge accounts.
- Arrange for transportation of pets if they do not tolerate long car trips well.
Two Weeks Before
- Start packing. Do a little at a time. Don't try to do it all in a day or two.
- Return borrowed items and reclaim items borrowed from you.
- Arrange disconnect/connect dates with local utilities.
- Develop a floor plan to show the movers where you want your belongings placed in your new home.
One Week Before
- Dispose of all flammable materials. They shouldn't be moved.
- Dismantle outdoor play or gym equipment and other items that go with you.
- Transfer bank accounts and contents of safe deposit box.
- Pack items you want to move yourself and mark "DO NOT MOVE."
One Day Before
- Empty and defrost your refrigerator and freezer; let the appliance air out for 24 hours.
- Finish packing personal items.
- Get a good nights sleep.
- Strip beds, but leave fitted bottom sheets on mattresses.
- Be present to answer mover's questions.
- Accompany movers through the house for an inventory of things to be moved.
- Keep children and pets out of the movers' way.
- Confirm destination address with van operator. Also confirm date of delivery.
- Close all windows and turn off lights.
- Lock all doors.
The BrickKicker wishes you the best of luck in your wonderful new home!