As I sit here I am stunned. Earlier I received the following email message.
I know my previous message got lost but maybe this one won't. We have been trying to help the following situation:
- Lawerence and his wife are elderly, blind and have limited means
- Together they make $11,000 plus food stamps
- They currently live in Government Funded Apartments that are in horrible condition
- Lease ends June 30th and no leases will be renewed
- They have no family and rely on each other
Lawerence and his wife are looking to purchase a small home to spend the later years of their life together in safety and peace. No one person seems to be able to explain how to help them. It seems this couple do not make enough to qualify for low income programs and they have $300 a month for mortgage with no reserves.
Our office has contacted the following resources and we have gotten no where:
- Lighthouse of Houston
- National Homeowners Alliance
- Urban Homesteading
- Habitat for Humanity
- HACH Loan to Purchase for low income
My question to Active Rain is have you experienced this before? Are there any resources that we have left out at the Federal Level? Does anyone in Texas know of a program that could benefit this couple?
It's quite possible that there is nothing we can do to help these people but I don't want to leave any stone unturned.