Cole House Design has staged numerous homes in the Halton and Peel regions of Ontario as of late. And many of those home owners have asked us the same probing question - "do I really have to stage my closets too?". Now most of these clients had closets bulging at the seams, and they were all a little concerned about what we would uncover. But the answer is always the same, "YES".
Now I am no Martha Stewart, and I will admit that I have never staged a coat closet quite to the degree she has below (even though the photo is inspiring). But potential home buyers WILL look in coat closets, linen closets, bedroom closets, kitchen and bathroom cabinets, and armoires during open houses and showings - GUARANTEED. So be prepared, and make sure your closets and cabinets are neat and orderly!
Cole House Design can help you get things tidied up and re-organized, and bring new life back to an old coat closet. As seen in the photo below, of one transformed during a home staging in Mississauga, Ontario.
Here are Cole House Design's quick and easy tips to help you through the dreaded coat closet clean-up:
- Pack up your family's out of season jackets and place in storage.
- Do the same for either the winter boots or the flip flops, depending on the season.
- Purchase a set of wooden hangers (perfect for heavy jackets), and discard those ugly and mismatched wire and plastic hangers. We purchased the ones above at our local Ikea.
- Install some simple wooden shelves or place a small wooden shelving unit at the base of the closet for shoe storage. Plastic ones do not typically hold up well under the weight of numerous pairs of shoes. The ones we used above were purchased at our local Home Depot.
- Place baskets or bins along the top shelf for storage of hats and mitts, sunglasses, silk scarves, purses, or any other miscellaneous items you may need while getting ready to leave.
- Place a small hook inside the door for your pet's leash and collar (if need be).
- Tuck umbrellas neatly upright in the corner of the closet in an umbrella stand or do as I do, and place them upright in my rubber boots (if you need to put your boots on, then you will likely need the umbrella too - LOL).
- If you have no room for an entry hall table near the front door, a small key rack can also be installed inside the closet for easy storage of keys.
Last but not least, don't forget to install a mirror somewhere between the coat closet and front door, so you can check your appearance one last time before leaving for the day!
If you have a catastrophe of a closet, contact Cole House Design for assistance! We would be more than happy to help! For a list of our other services, please check out our website at www.colehousedesign.com. Thanks for reading!
Nicole Hurst - (President)
(Cole House Design is a home staging and interior decorating firm serving Georgetown, Acton, Mississauga, Oakville, Brampton, Milton, Rockwood, Erin, and surrounding areas.)