Englewood (census tract ) traditionally has the most two to four flat building sales in the city of Chicago. Originally, the land was swampy prairie occupied by the Mascouten Indians. As Chicago grew, it became a center for railroads. When the Great Chicago Fire destroyed a large portion of Chicago in 1871, residents moved to the outskirts. Englewood's railroad connections to downtown Chicago made it a convenient location, and the neighborhood's population boomed. The City of Chicago annexed Englewood in 1889.
It is written up on the city's official site at :
"Englewood is one of Chicago's comeback neighborhoods, thanks to a series of strategic public investments..."
The Encyclopedia of Chicago, compiled by the Chicago Historical Society, has an article on it:
"...Before 1850, Englewood was an oak forest with much
swampland. In 1852 several railroad lines crossed at what became known as
Junction Grove, stimulating the beginning of what we know today as
Learn more about homes in this neighborhood at the home page of http://www.chicagoland2to4flats.info/!!!