So You've Bought A New Home, Some Tips to Staging For Living on a Dime: A Toronto Home Staging PerspectiveRachel Craggy (CM Staging Solutions Inc)
Although at CM Staging Solutions, we focus primarily on home staging, most people don’t realize not only do we stage homes for sale; we also stage homes for life.
Staging for living is a great option if your moving to a new space and unsure how to arrange your furniture or are you downsizing, combining 2 homes into one or even renting an apartment and don't want to bust the budget.
In a nutshell, “Staging for Life”,is much like a day at the spa. It is a quick and cost effective make over that leaves you feeling refreshed, relaxed and re-energized and with all the pieces of your furniture!
On that note, let’s look at few quick and inexpensive tips to make your home feel like it has been “staged for life”.
1. Do you feel like you need a map to navigate yourself from one end of the room to the other? If you answered yes, perhaps you need to lean your furnishiings.
i. Re-arranging may help create a more balanced flow to your room.
ii. If the furniture is too large for the space nothing will correct that; not working is merely not working. Maybe it’s time to retire them.
iii. Too many pieces of furniture? Relocate some pieces to another room or perhaps it’s time to donate them or give them away.
2. You've moved into a new home, keep your mind free of clutter that includes your closet space. This is a great time to lean your clothes.
3. Now that your rooms and your closets are feeling a little leaner, it’s time to put organizing systems into place and make your life a little easier. Some great places to buy closet and drawer organizers are: IKEA, Home Depot, Costco, Solutions Store or Bed Bath and Beyond to name a few. Check out the links below for some options.
Once you’ve cleaned, leaned, de-cluttered and re-organized let’s get to the good stuff, re-decorating! Here are few rules of thumb to create a winning look for your fresh new space.
1. Create a winning look with sophisticated home decor accessory vignettes .
a. Apply the rule of 3, 5 or 7; anything in 2s is too balanced and boring.
b. Create harmony by putting similar colours and styles together and add some contrast by combining different textures.
c. Don’t forget to layer, different size pieces will make an interesting combination.
2. Colour – When combining colours in a room, minimize your colours to 3 and follow the 60-30-10 rule.
3. Pictures – Be sure when you hang your pictures they are at eye level for the average height.
4. Area Rugs – Area rugs are a great addition to a living room or bedroom especially if the floor material is hardwood as it softens the space and makes it feel cozy.
These are just a few quick tips to get you well on your way to giving your home, condo, or apartment a winning look and ready for entertaining this holiday season.