Let me start by giving credit to Harrison Painter for his post... http://activerain.com/blogsview/1007302/What-Makes-You-Stand-Out-From-the-Competition
I am a firm believer that just because we are Realtors, we do not need to answer our phones 24/7 regardless of where we are, who we are with, and what we are doing. I really feel that we have to be considerate of other people's feelings and plain ol' common courtesy.
Before everyone begins to assume that I never answer my phone let me be clear...most times when my phone rings, I answer it. However, here are sometimes that I think we should let the call go to voicemail:
- At a Seminar...it drives me nuts when people so rudely take calls while someone is giving a presentation.
- While with a Client...The client in front of you absolutely deserves your attention
- In the Bathroom!...This is so disrespectful to the person on the other end of the line when you are holding a conversation and flushing the toilet at the same time.
- During my son's soccer game...At the end of the day, watching him get excited about making a big play is priceless. What kind of message am I sending my child if I cannot take a break from the phone for one hour???
- At a Closing...What a lasting message you leave when you are jumping up from the table to answer calls! (No, it is not the message of what a great Realtor you are because you are busy!)
- The check out line or deli counter of a store...just plain rude!
- When you are frazzled! You need to sound professional when you answer. You should be able to take the time to speak to the person & possibly take some notes.
- When you know your client (or cooperating Realtor)is just overreacting or freaking out. Sometimes people just need to vent for a minute. This gives you time to gather your thoughts and possibly answers to their questions that they may leave on voicemail. This could keep you from reacting too quickly and without proper information to keep things together or resolve issues.
With all of that being said...EVERY SINGLE CALL NEEDS TO BE RETURNED IN A TIMELY FASHION!!!!
I have taken the rare 9pm call (while laying in bed) which did turn into a 9am showing and a sale but that is the exception... not the rule. Also, I do lay the groundwork with my clients and I let them know that my phone is turned off when I am with them and they understand that it is turned off when I am with other clients. I have never lost a client because they had to leave a message.
So...what are your thoughts???
P. S. I am committed to providing quality service and helping home buyers and sellers. I can assure you that if you call me to buy or sell and home (or with a referral), leave a message...I will return your call just as quickly as I can provide you with my undivided attention.