Now that spring has sprung, many people are starting to think about and plan that family vacation. Here are ten common sense tips to help you save money & enjoy that vacation.
1. Rent a car. Consider renting a car instead of using the airport shuttle. Many times the cost of the shuttle is more than that of a modest car rental - and you have the flexibility of having available transportation. Also, if you are driving to your destination, renting a car instead of using your own vehicle is often cheaper than the extra wear and tear on your own car. Take advantage of coupons to upgrade to a larger and more comfortable vehicle.
2. Eat breakfast where kids eat free & split meals. This can mean an enormous savings for a family. Children are many times too excited or tired to eat much at a time. Restaurants that are kid friendly are more than happy to accommodate special requests for extra plates.
3. Eat lunch in your room. You'll be surprised how good a peanut butter sandwich, chips, and fresh fruit tastes away from home.
4. Take advantage of coupons. Whether it is lodging, food, or attractions - coupons SAVE money! You can find them everywhere & be sure to carefully read the fine print about the terms of the coupon.
5. Bring your own stroller. This can save $7 to $10 a day at some attractions.
6. Bring along individual refillable water bottles. These can be refilled at the hotel and at attractions water fountains.
7. Take advantage of multi-day passes at attractions. This is especially a good deal when they can be used anytime.
8. Make your own reservations. Many hotels and airlines offer additional discounts and specials for booking online.
9. Give each child a set amount to spend. You can tame the "gimmes", and your pocketbook at the same time, by giving children a pre-set spending limit for souvenirs.
10. Spend the day away from attractions. Explore the outdoors, the hotel swimming pool, shopping areas, etc.