Don'ts Every Home Buyer Should Know......
When we were growing up our parents used to tell us DON'T do this and DON'T do that. Pretty soon we knew what the don'ts were and so, if we were smart, we wouldn't do the don'ts. You know things like don't talk to strangers or don't run with a sharp object in your hand or don't touch that it's hot. Then as we grew older we would do some of the don'ts because we thought we could. Then we found out why we should not do the don'ts.
So now you are looking to buy a home and are not to sure of what to expect or to do. I'm thinking that it would be good to go back to a term our parents used to use. Don't, and I have come up with a list of 12 don'ts that every home buyer should know. Are you ready?
- Don't wait for the perfect house...there isn't one. Compromise and prioritizing are necessary elements in purchasing a home. Even if you were to build a new home within 6 months your would be asking the question, "Why didn't I do this or that?"
- Don't buy before you do some comparison shopping...especially if you're new to the area. Right now there are a large number of homes for sale and they are in all sizes, colors and price ranges. But, I would caution you, when you find the home that talks or sings to you then stop looking, you will start to get confused and that is not good.
- Don't write an unrealistic offer or you will simply be helping someone else's offer look good (too low of a price...too many contingencies).
- Don't feel a need to negotiate if a property is fresh to the market, priced right and popular...the good ones often go quickly and at full price.
- Don't think all real estate agents and companies are created equal...they are not. Find an agent/company with a great track record and proven home buying system.
- Don't be afraid to write an offer above or below the asking price...offer what it is worth to you.
- Don't work with more than one agent. Find one you like and stick with them. If you make a bad choice, change but stick with the new one.
- Don't wait for perfect conditions to buy. The best time to buy is when you have found the right home.
- Don't get too many friend and family involved in your buying decision...you'll go NUTS!
- Don't wait until you find a home to shop for the best loan. Start up-front talk to a lender today!
- Don't wait until after you find a house to be approved for a loan. Do it up-front talk to a lender today and get pre-approved.
- Don't be surprised if you get buyer's remorse at some time before closing...most buyers do. It is normal and it will pass.
And as an added caution (Don't), pick a friend or relative that is licensed as an agent if they are GOOD and look for value added services.
Helping you achieve your next level of the American Dream. Ready?
If you are looking for a new home and a REALTOR® that knows the St. Charles County MO marketplace and one that has call O Fallon MO home for over 15 years give me a call. Call Don Rogers at 314-954-6775 or email me at Don@DRogersHomes.com and we can start you home buying experience today. By the way I am never too busy for your referral, so if you know of someone that is looking to buy or sell have them give me a call, too.
Search for homes on the market in our area by visiting my new website! Click the link below and register to get full access to unlimited listings!