Every day, thousands of tourists visit the White House at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington. At least, they stand out front and take photos, usually of a friend or family member standing at the fence.
Many people never go 100 yards up the street to look at the tired old building that shares the grounds with the White House. This is the Executive Office Building which houses almost all of the President's staff and has served this function for many years.
This building took almost 17 years to construct, it was started in 1871 and finally finished in 1888. The site had been the location of the presidential stables until then and this became the home of the Departments of State, War and Navy until the 1950's. It was almost demolished at that time.
During the Eisenhower administration the building was rehabbed and has been used since for offices. Richard Nixon actually had an office here during his presidency. The first vice-president to maintain his office here was Lyndon Johnson.
For a complete look at the Eisenhower Executive Office Building go to the White House website