Earth Day is tomorrow, April 22, 2009. Earth Day was established in 1970 as a celebration intended to inspire awareness of and appreciation for the Earth's environment. Many countries have since decided that a global observance was needed; therefore, April 22 is recognized each year. In 2009, hundreds of millions of people in more than 180 countries are expected to participate in Earth Day activities.
Here are some of the Earth Week celebrations in Palmetto Bay:
- The week started with a kayak and canoe tour of Biscayne Bay on Saturday, April 18th sponsored & led by volunteers from the Tropical Audubon Society.
- Also on Saturday, a Biscayne Bay clean-up project, known as Baynanza occurred throughout Miami-Dade County. In Palmetto Bay, the cleanup was at the Deering Estate (16701 SW 72 Ave.) Deering Estate hosted numerous Earth Day events on Sunday April 19th . There was a natural area tour, a bay cruise, a butterfly walk and a Living Artist Concert all during the day.
- On Monday, April 20th, Palmetto Bay residents were urged to trail the Village IBus, which was filled with a group of Alexander Montessori students, in their own cars to clean our community.
- On Wednesday April 22th, Earth Day, 9,000 lady bugs will be set free on this day by area students, as they learn about the environmental importance of lady bugs. Members of the Village council will join Mayor Eugene Flinn and area children in 3 different Village of Palmetto Bay locations to release the ladybugs.
- On Thursday April 23th, another 6,000 ladybugs will be released into the schoolyards of Palmetto Bay!
- On Friday, April 24th , bring your own popcorn, soda and blanket to watch the movie, “Bee Movie” at Coral Reef Park, (7895 SW 152 St) at 7:30pm. Meet “Willie the Bee Man” who will talk about the importance of bees in our environment.
- And lastly, on Saturday, April 25th , join other local Palmetto Bay residents on a “Ride the Path of Old Cutler”, beginning at 8am. It will begin from the Deering Visitor Center.
Enjoy YOUR Earth Day!
Lynn Cromer is a Broker Associate at Coldwell Banker in Pinecrest, Florida. She can be reached via e-mail or catch her latest writings on the South Florida Home Blog , or by calling 305-962-4068.