Everyone wants to be viewed as important, and these days standing out in this market amongst the rest is key! Here is some advice to consider in increasing your importance:
1. Get visible. Small stuff counts, such as face time. Arrive a little early, leave a few minutes later than everyone else, and speak up at a meeting. Big stuff counts more. Volunteer for an assignment no one wants, change your methods, take a chance.
2. Be a problem solver. Search for ideas that help your customer or the company's clients. When you can help customers or clients, you will be indispensable in their eyes, and referrals will come your way.
3. Don't complain. If you have in the past, get an attitude adjustment to the positive side. We all have enough problems and you shouldn't be one of them. Complaining definitely won't make you more important.
4. Give true information. During difficult times, clients need to know the truth about what is going on, and their opportunities. Tell it very carefully.
5. Take a class. Consider an area in which the community or yourself could see improvement or be better informed, such as going "green".
In these times, we all have to do more.