Moving can be stressful for many people, especially if they're on a time-crunch. With these moving tips, your move can be stress-free, fast and efficient.
* Make a moving schedule using a week-by-week checklist that will help keep your moving process on track. Keeping to a schedule will prevent many last minute headaches. Your time is important. Be diligent in sticking to your schedule and check off each task as it is complete.
* Stock up on packing supplies so you won't run out. You will need plenty of boxes, packing tape, markers, bubble wrap, newsprint and box cutters. Always use materials you have on hand first. Wrap your fragile items in towels, scarves, blankets, pillow cases, sheets, etc. This is a "green" way to pack.
* Pack like the professionals do by coming up with a packing system. Label boxes clearly with markers so you and anyone helping will know exactly what each box contains. On moving day, show any of your helpers your floor plan so they will know exactly where each box will go.
* Hire a professional moving company to help take the stress out of the move and to let them do all the heavy lifting. Be sure to hire a quality moving company with good credentials. Check them out with the Better Business Bureau or the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.
* Pack a moving survival kit that contains items such as medicine, toiletries, snacks and other necessities that can go in the car with you. This will prevent you from having to dig through boxes later.
* Put in a change of address by completing a change-of-address form. You can get the form from your local post office. This will prevent you from having any late bills, service lapses, etc. Also, be sure to schedule the disconnect of utilities and new service of your utilities on the proper dates.
Good luck with your move. These tips are sure to help it be the least stressful move you've ever had.
Need more tips and advice for homeowners? Get them right in your inbox.