I wonder, is there anyone out there competent to do a job anymore? Is being thorough and efficient absolutely a thing of the past? Tonight is my rant about a Title Situation that is making me crazy.
To start with, I got a call yesterday afternoon from one of my buyers who's sale "closed" nearly two weeks ago. He had called our local Sanitary District to make sure everything had been transferred over at closing and was informed that there was a $768 outstanding sewer bill that was never paid and that the Sanitary District had put a lien on the property and blocked the sewer line. (Fortunately they hadn't moved in yet) The bill had to be paid before they would unblock the line. He asked them for a copy of the lien papers and they gladly sent them to him which he immediately sent on to me.
I called Navajo County in the interim to find out what they knew about this and low an behold they didn't even have a record of the sale. The deed had never been recorded. So starts the nightmare.
I called the Title Company who had handled the escrow starting out with the lack of recordation on the deed for starters and informing them of the lien for the Sanitary District. After multiple excuses they admitted that on the day of closing they forgot to call the County to release the Deed for recordation. They had done it right then but it was too late for it to record yesterday so it would be done today.
2nd the Sanitary District information had just arrived from my buyer and I sent it over to the Title Company. They promised to get back to me before the days end with some answers. Of course that didn't happen so this morning I got on the phone first thing to find out the status. After four phone calls and three voice mails I finally connected to the gal I spoke with yesterday by using a back line on my office phone. She didn't recognize the number so she answered. I swear the tricks we must resort to in order to get any answsers.
She proceeded to tell me it was the Seller's responsibility to take care of the bill and they had sent them an e-mail about it. In the interim it came out that this Title Company was not the one who issued the Title Insurance Policy and if it ended up being a Title issue that they would be responsible for the bill. I called the other Title Company. (This is one of those fun Bank Owned deals) so there are multiple Title Companies involved. )
I proceeded to call the other Title Company who insisted that the first Title Company had assured them that they would take care of it there was nothing to worry about. As inevitably happens when there are too many cooks in the kitchen, the finger pointing started and the it's not my problem it's theirs ensued.
By the end of the day today I was no closer to knowing who is going to take responsibility for this than I was at 8 this morning. Obviously the second Title Company who did the Title Search and issued the policy is the one who should be responsible since they missed this lien on the Title Search. I know they aren't going to do it without a fight though so I am on a rant tonight. I can't fix this and my buyer isn't about to pay this fee just to get the sewer line unblocked because if he does he'll eat that cost.
Oh, the joys of dealing with Banks and Out of Town Title Companies. The fact is that no one thought to look for this on the Title Search because these Title people are in Phoenix where sewer is handled through taxes at the City. They didn't know to look for a Sanitary District lien. Welcome to the mountain folks, if you are going to do business here you need to learn the ropes.